Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rented an apartment with roomate on 1/1/2010 for a year.

Customer Question
He decided to buy it...
I rented an apartment with roomate on 1/1/2010 for a year. He decided to buy it with he's girlfriend and now wants me out of apartment by August. Is that legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

If you have a written lease, you're entitled to stay until your term is up so long as you pay rent on time and don't violate a term of the lease. If the owner/landlord cancels the lease, you'd be entitled to the difference in the contract rate rent and how much you'll have to pay for a new place.

If you have no written lease, you're a month to month tenant, and in that case, the landlord can give you a 30 day notice to vacate and you'll have to go.

I need a specific answer taken from the state or federal law that tells me can I be evicted by the new owner or not and on which conditions.
Answer: " you're entitled to stay until your term is up so long as you pay rent on time and don't violate a term of the lease" and then: "If the owner/landlord cancels the lease" are contradictory.
Do I have right on apartment untill the end of my lease agreement regardless of who the owner is or not?

Sorry if the response is confusing.

I'll try to correct this. First, the law on renting property is governed by the contract you signed. Whatever terms it states is what you're bound by.

As I said, you are entitled to stay so long as you pay rent and don't violate the lease. However, this entitlement can be taken away if the landlord cancels the lease. If the landlord does so without a breach by you, the landlord would be legally liable to you for breaking the lease.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the landlord can cancel the lease, but if he does so without proper authority (some breach by you), he is legally liable to you for any damages or costs you incur as a result of the breach.

OK, I will try to make my question more understandable for you. I have a lease for apartment untill the end of this year that I fully honor (pay everything on time etc.). My roomate want to buy the apartment and want me out. Can he do that? How long do I have to move if he can? Is landlord obligated by law to honor the lease if lessee honors it or he can evict the lessee regardless?
"As I said, you are entitled to stay so long as you pay rent and don't violate the lease. However, this entitlement can be taken away if the landlord cancels the lease. If the landlord does so without a breach by you, the landlord would be legally liable to you for breaking the lease."
Is this mean that he can kick me out on the street as soon as he sign the papers or not?
Is there a specific law that covers this kind of situatuions.
You gave me the same answer like the previous.

Yes, your roommate can cancel your lease if he buys the apartment. If he does, you will have the right to sue your roommate for breaching the contract and seek the costs of moving plus the difference between what you're paying now for rent and what you'll have to pay somewhere else.

You're entitled to 30 days to move.

Thank you.
Sorry for any confusion with the answers. I hope any issues were cleared up. Good luck.