Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought 28 acres and built a house, almost 13 yrs ago, the…

Customer Question
I bought 28 acres and...
I bought 28 acres and built a house, almost 13 yrs ago, the address on the property and on my mortgage is not the address on my tax id. I'm not in financial trouble, paid everything, my mail comes to the address listed on mortgage, I live in the country, another words the first two numbers of my address were reversed at purchase. I'm just curious, do I legally own this property, and will I have issues with insurance if something were to happen, and am I legally liable to pay this mortgage? All my bills state the address on the mortgage, not the one on my tax bill. I live in NC. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Thomas McJD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer

Your mailing address is not what is relevant, whether it is listed on the deed, the mortgage or the tax statements. What is important is the legal description used. Your deed needs to have the proper legal description. If not, you have a title issue. The mortgage should also have the correct legal description. Even if there is an error in the description on the mortgage, you do still owe the money.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say and will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.