Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My girl friend recently was handed a letter to vacate in two…

Customer Question
My girl friend recently was...
My girl friend recently was handed a letter to vacate in two weeks. The statements that where presented in this letter where all false. The owner claims to have had a meeting about 4-5 months ago with "Tammy" my girl friend and her sister. The just of that was him telling them in passing in the hall that jeff clausen was no longer allowed on the property. Now he is claiming that they had a sit down meeting and they where told that "Tammy's" boy friend me "XXXXX XXXXX" was the one that was not allowed on the property.Along with that he states that i am a big drug dealer "per the local police" and he wanted no problems.Second that he had recieved numerous noise complaints and was tired of all of it. Now i "XXXXX XXXXX" have never had any convictions related to or about drugs period.I live in a sober house and have to give random ua's. Last is Tammy has NEVER recieved verbally or written any thing regaurds to noise.What do i do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

At this point there is not anything that you can do as you are not on their lease, I assume. If the landlord has terminated their lease for violations, they can fight it by refusing to move and forcing the landlord to try and evict them. He would have to file a formal eviction through the courts and they would have an opportunity to give their side of the story. The landlord would have to prove his case by proving that he gave them notice of any alleged violations and that they haven't corrected them.

.

The judge would then decide whether they breached the lease or not. If not, they win and he dismisses the case and everyone goes back home. If they lose, then they would have to move by the time the judge says or the landlord can have the sheriff physically remove them.

.

.

Thanks.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.