Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a durable power of attorney for my dad, we both live…

Customer Question
I have a durable power...
I have a durable power of attorney for my dad, we both live in new jersey, my father is beneficiary on his sisters Will, his sister passed away she resided in Glendale AZ, his other sister is executor of the will and the other principal beneficiary, she probated the will and has sent papers for my dad to sign and have notarized so she can forge ahead and sell the house. Can I sign these papers as my dad’s POA? My father has middle of the road Alzheimer’s, some days good, some days not so good. It says specifically in the POA I can handle all financial, property and so on, but is this good in AZ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 8 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Yes, if the POA says specifically "real property" then you can sign the papers. If it just says "property" that is not enough.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly

It exactly states: To conduct banking transactions;to ask,demand,sue for,recover,collect,receive, and hold and possess all such sums of money, debts,dues,bonds,notes,checks,dragts,accounts,deposits,legacies,bequests,devices,interests,dividends, stock certificates, certicates of deposit, annities, pension and reitirrement benefits, insureance benefits and proceeds, documents of title, choses in action , personal and real property, intanglible and tangible property and property rights and demands whatsoever.

So I am ok to sign the documents and with this power of attorney it will be recognized in Arizona?

Yes, it says real property so you are ok.