Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Recently I signed a home purchase agreement and have $10000…

Customer Question
Recently I signed a home...
Recently I signed a home purchase agreement and have $10000 earnest money depsit with this agreement. One week before my mortgage loan closing, the mortgage comapny found (1) The seller did not disclose the pending litigation with his house developer; (2) can not provide my mortgage comapny the information to further process my loan with the time frame of our home purcgase agreement. Therefore, my mortageg loan was denied. I just want to get my earnest money back. My agent already sent a mutual release agreement to the seller a week ago. However, the seller did not sign it and never had any response. What should I do to get my earnest money back. Thanks

Yier Lin
Michigan
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

A typical residential purchase agreement contains provisions to require mediation followed by arbitration of any dispute. You have to follow the process, unless you are prepared to negotiate with the seller. You can figure that you will spend $2,500-4,000 to arbitrate this action, if you hire a lawyer. If you win, then the seller will be ordered to pay your attorney's fees, but if the seller has no money, then you may never collect. So, be careful about going down this path, unless you're certain that the seller can pay or has assets that you can have the sheriff seize and sell to satisfy your judgment.

If the seller has no money, then you may throw good money after bad, and you may be better off offering to pay the seller something to release the funds. I realize that this is the last thing that you would want to do, but if efficiency is the goal, then sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and pay to get free.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.