Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I received a notice today of my landlords intention to impose…

Customer Question
I received a notice today...
I received a notice today of my landlord's intention to impose a claim for damages in the amount of $621.90 for replacing stained carpet. I lived in my apt for 3 years took extreme care to protect all walking areas. If anything got spilled (like milk, coffee, I immediately used carpet cleaner to clean. My carpet looked almost spotless when I left and I have witnesses who helped me move and clean up who agree with that. The landlord had walked thru my apt 10 days prior to vacating, lifting throw rugs and inspecting. She said "it looks good", so I signed a lease to take a smaller upstairs apt putting up new deposits as required. After I moved out she didn't even attempt to have the carpet cleaned. Instead she had the maintenance man roll up the carpet and take pictures of any marks they could find on the back of it. They are upgrading every apt as a tenant moves out and I feel she is using my deposit to cover upgrading expense.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: David L, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
David L
David L, Lawyer

Hi. As you stated, you should respond within the fifteen days to comply with Florida Statutes, Section 83.49. In fact, your letter should go something like follows:

Dear Landlord:

Please be advised that in accordance with Florida Statutes, Section 83.49(3)(b), I hereby object to the imposition of your claim against my security deposit. You are attempting to make a damage claim on carpeting that is more than three years old. The carpeting was left in good condition, normal wear and tear excepted.

You are put on notice that pursuant to F.S. 83.49(3)(c), if you do not refund my deposit within the next seven (7) days, I intend to pursue all legal remedies avaliable to me. Should I prevail against you in court, under Florida law you will be responsible for my attorneys' fees and costs as well as the return of my entire deposit.