Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What is a landlords obligation regarding a disabled tenant…

Customer Question
What is a landlord's obligation...
What is a landlord's obligation regarding a disabled tenant and the Disability Act. The Landlord did not know the person he entered into a lease with was disabled and after the lease was signed the tenant wants modifications to the home and says the Landlord must provide them under the Disablility Act.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/14/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The ADA requires the landlord to permit the tenant to make reasonable modifications to the leasehold premises at the tenant's own cost to provide for the tenant's disability

Can you please tell me where I can find this in the act. The tenant claims it is the financial obligation of the Landlord to make any necessary modifications.
I am happy to do this but it will take me a little bit longer than simply giving you an answer. I will be back to you in one hour or more