Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recently gave my 60 day notice due to the fact that my roommate…

Customer Question
I recently gave my 60...
I recently gave my 60 day notice due to the fact that my roommate was breaking the lease and leaving. My leasing agent said that if I decide to stay ie: find another roommate, that would be fine. I did and when I notified them that I would be staying they said "no problem". Upon checking the file they found they had leased my apt to another tenant. Again, no problem they would contact the lessee and explain that the current tenant, me, was staying. The office informed me this happens on occassion. They told me of the same situation occuring the previous week. Unfortunately for me, the new tenant has a handicapped husband and they have to give my ground floor unit to them as they paid their monies. Do I have to give up my apt? My current lease is up at the end of Oct. They have offered me my choice of other second story units. I was offered some possible type of compensation by the leasing agent but when I mentioned it to the mgr this morning he looked at me like I grew another head.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/14/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

If your rental contract required 60 days notice prior to termination, then once you gave that notice, your landlord could rely on that notice and relet the apartment. Unfortunately when you have a contract, you cannot change the terms of otherwise modify it by verbal agreement. So, even though you had these discussions with the leasing office that indicated that you would probably be OK to stay in your unit, they weren't binding. If I were you and want to stay in this complex, I would consider going back to the leasing agent and saying that you would like to stay in the complex, but only if they can give you a break in your rent for not fighting them in changing units. Although you don't really have a legal foundation to fight the move, it might work to get you a little extra dispensation for the hassle of moving.

Thank you,

The answer was what I thought it would be. Although other residents seemed lucky enough to stay in their apts, I can't seem to catch a break here. I think I have to stay or forfeit two additional months rent for breaking the lease before it is officially expired. It is more cost effective to just stay.The hazards of choosing roommatesI guess.

It is a tough result and, as you say, one of the pitfalls of having roommates.