Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I was served notice t.o quit as a tenant in a foreclosed home…

Customer Question
I was served notice...
I was served notice t.o quit as a tenant in a
foreclosed home notice dated 3/31/10. civil code 1161b (90 days) to vacate. I purchased the home 6/3/10 grant deed recorded. The bank agent called Edison May 11, 2010. Had services put in their name called back 7 days later to have services turn off on 6/11/ 2010. I have a court date 6/14/10 for a motion to strike entire complaint. IS the eviction notice served by the plaintiff still valid since I now own the property???is it unlawful for plaintiff to have my electricity disconnected?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/13/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

It appears that it was unlawful for the plaintiff to turn off your electricity. This would be considered a constructive eviction. You could file an action for wrongful eviction and be entitled to recover your actual damages as well as punitive damages.

The plaintiff cannot evict you from your own property. However since your hearing is tomorrow, I suggest that you attend and offer the judge proof of your ownership.
ARE THEY ENTITLED TO DAMAGES OF 100.00 PER DAY FROM 4/6/10 IF THEY GAVE ME 90 DAYS TO MOVE? MY 90 DAYS EXPIRES JULY 6, 2010???
there is not a statutory penalty. However the court can impose a penalty
YOU DID NOT GIVE ME HELPFUL INFORMATION YOU DID NOT SAY IF THEY WE
ENTITLE TO COMPENSATION OF $100 PER DAY IF MY 90 DAYS HAD NOT EXPIRED.
Sorry I was not clear. There is not a statutory penalty. This means they are not automatically entitled to $100 per day