Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Property that was left to me by my father & was taken from…

Customer Question
Property that was left to...
Property that was left to me by my father & was taken from me by my stepmother & her family. The property has since been sold. There were papers which my father had in his possesion at the time of his death which stated that I was to get the property. On the day of his death (5) family members were in his bed room going through his papers and destroyed those papers. I am sure that there is nothing I can do now because the papers were destoryed. Is there anything that I can do now that the property is sold through a Sheriffs sale?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/13/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

If there was no will, the property would be split equally between the heirs at law equally. Thus, you'd be entitled to a share of the property and the proceeds from any sale.

However, if the property was foreclosed on, there would be no proceeds as all of the money from the sale would be used to pay off the debt due on the mortgage.