Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a SFR in Ventura, California. The owner has been…

Customer Question
I live in a SFR...
I live in a SFR in Ventura, California. The owner has been doing repairs to the house replacing old siding. The siding has been tested positive for lead. I asked him to follow the proper clean up processes for the toxic substance, but he refused. He then proceeded to burn all the siding in the backyard. Now I am afraid that there is toxic lead dust in the backyard. I have asked him to clean it up so my dog and I, as well as my nephews (when they visit) can enjoy the backyard as part of the house that I rent. I am on a month to month lease. After numerous emails and phone calls, he responded by giving me a letter saying I have to either accept the hazard, or move out. I do not want to move. I am not litigous, but enough is enough. What can I do?

On a side note, the owner has also violated tenant law as he has entered the house without permission. He has also continually sexually harassed me asking for me to hot tub naked among many other inappropriate statements.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Contact Ventura County Building and Safety Code Enforcement:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I already did that and they stated they do not handle lead issues.

That's ridiculous (not you -- code enforcement).

You can try the county health officer:(NNN) NNN-NNNN If Public Health Dept. is not interested, then that would leave you with contacting the Ventura County District Attorney Environmental Protection Unit, or the EPA.