Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need to move into a 55+ condominium community. I plan to…

Customer Question
I need to move into...
I need to move into a 55+ condominium community. I plan to rent for the first year. The condo says that only owners are allowd to have pets. Renters are forbidden from havinmg pets. Is this legal? Is it not a double standard? Is there anything legal I can use in my appeal to this board?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello. Unfortunately, what they are doing here is perfectly legal -- there are no such things as discrimination laws when it involves renters and pets. Property owners are pretty much free to do what they want to do in this regard. The only way a discrimination case can be made out is if you are discriminated against due to race, religion, gender, age (over 40), or disability. My suggestion here is that you appeal to the board's sense of community and civic duty -- and cite what you have mentioned here to me as the reasons why you should be permitted to keep your dog. If you can get some letters from the persons and/or facilities that you have brought the dog to for therapy sessions, that would probably be extremely helpful in acting to convince the board that you should be permitted to keep your dog. Finally, if you are sure that you will be buying a place in this community at the end of one year, ask them to call your lease a "rent to own" situation (they can simply write into the lease that it is your intent to purchase at the end of the year period) and perhaps if the residency is written up in that manner it might help to get around any strict "renters cannot have pets" policy.

Obviously, these are just suggestions to try to give you some arguments to use in front of the board, and they may still refuse the request -- however, if you have any place else that you are considering purchasing, you might want to mention that also (sort of as a last measure if it seems that the board will side against you -- you may want to have another trick up your sleeve to tell them that you will not reside there after all because of this issue).

I hope these suggestions help. Legally, there is nothing that you can do --- but perhaps you can get them to cooperate using some of the arguments here.

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.

THANK YOU