Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father owned gas and oil rights in Arkansas before his death…

Customer Question
My father owned gas and...
My father owned gas and oil rights in Arkansas before his death in July, 2008. I am his only biological child and was only notified of his death this past summer. How do I go about getting information? Thank you so much for any help that you can give me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/12/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. Is there a will?
I don't know. The woman that he may or my not be married to says there wasn't one, but my Aunt says that there was. I can't get straight answers from anyone. I live in WV and have no close contact with any of my father's family. Thank you.
You need to check with other family members, potential executor and the court to see if a will has been filed/probated. A lawyer can also send a letter demanding such disclosure which she may not want to lie in responding.
As I live in Charleston, WV and this occurred in Dover, AK, I have no idea of where to begin with a lawyer. I do not know most of my family there and they also have unresolved issues with my father. They have not kept in contact with each other. Do you have any suggestions as to whom I would call about an existing will?
You need an estate lawyer. Try www.martindale.com we cannot per site rules recommend a specific lawyer.