Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

One of our residents had a non-complying fence (taller than…

Customer Question
One of our residents had...
One of our residents had a non-complying fence (taller than 4 feet,) erected by one of the two previous owners during the period when the developer was still building houses in the development (and agreeing to anything, in order to sell them!) In other words, that was prior to the inception of our homeowner association. Current owner purchased the house in 2005, and in keeping with our practice in other instances such as this, the HOA did not approach them about removal of the fence. (In addition to the hardship it would pose, counsel advised against it.) Fast forward to 2010, when resident applied for approval of a replacement. Architectural committee notified them that the fence construction and placement both met the requirements of the deed restrictions, but because the height did not, their application was denied. They put it up anyway. HOA isn't taking action, saying the fence is just a replacement of one "approved" pre-HOA. I say we should file suit. What say you?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/11/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
If the HOA has not taken action against the owner because they replaced their existing fence which was granted waiver by the developer, then I am afraid that the failure of the HOA to take that action is good towards only the party who had the fence, but any new parties who try to put up a similar fence without waiver or approval can still be prevented.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I guess I wasn't clear. House built in 1991, sold to 2nd owner in '94, and subsequently, to current owner in 2005. IF developer actually gave a waiver to anyone, it most likely would have been to owner #1 as an inducement to purchase. In any event, developer was out of the picture long before the current owner (a realtor, by the way) purchased it in 2005. This person apparently believes they are entitled to replace the old, non-complying fence that was there when they bought the house, with one that's just as high. One wonders, if they were just going to do it anyway, why bother submitting a request for approval?

So, the question is, is there any way that the developer's action (or lack thereof) has resulted in this property possessing a waiver, in perpetuity, from this particular deed restriction? Nothing that the HOA has done can be construed to be a new waiver. Her application for approval was denied less than 6 months ago, and the fence was erected shortly after.

I guess I wasn't clear.  House built in 1991, sold to 2nd owner in '94, and subsequently, to current owner in 2005. IF developer actually gave a waiver to anyone, it most likely would have been to owner #1 as an inducement to purchase.  In any event, developer was out of the picture long before the current owner (a realtor, by the way) purchased it in 2005.  This person apparently believes they are entitled to replace the old, non-complying fence that was there when they bought the house, with one that's just as high.  One wonders, if they were just going to do it anyway, why bother submitting a request for approval?

So, the question is, is there any way that the developer's action (or lack thereof) has resulted in this property possessing a waiver, in perpetuity, from this particular deed restriction?  Nothing that the HOA has done can be construed to be a new waiver.  Her application for approval was denied less than 6 months ago, and the fence was erected shortly after.

The waiver goes with the property, if it did not then owner 2 or 3 would have had to tear the fence down and the new owners get the rights of the waiver granted. If they are replacing the fence with the same fence height they have an argument over the waiver and grandfather rights they inherited from their predecessor in title.

What if there never was a formal waiver, or the owner is unable to provide evidence of same? Could they still prevail in any action against them, employing one of the other defenses commonly used in covenant/restriction violation cases? (ie., laches, estoppel)

There does not need to be a formal waiver, the fact the fence was there for all of this time is the waiver and estoppel and laches would apply as well.