Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother is buying a property with a bond for deed. The lady…

Customer Question
My mother is buying a...
My mother is buying a property with a bond for deed. The lady who owns the property wants to sell the contract to me. how do I buy the contract and keep my mother paying a mortgage to me. how do I get the deed to the property.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/10/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Until the buyer completes the contract by making all necessary payments, the seller has the right to assign it to another person, as long as the assignment does not materially impair the rights of the buyer (your mother). The seller would assign the contract to you, and give you a grant deed to the property. You would then own the contract and the deed, and you would be obligate to transfer title to your mother when she completes the payments.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Where do I get a grant deed?

http://www.uslegalforms.com/deedforms/illinois-deed-forms.htm or www.legalzoom.com, among other places. You may want to have a lawyer draft this agreement and the deed, because if you mess it up, you could end up with a worthless piece of paper.

For a real property attorney referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=IL and www.martindale.com.