Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I let a friend stay at my house on the couch of my 1 bedroom…

Customer Question
I let a friend stay...
I let a friend stay at my house on the couch of my 1 bedroom apartment. Now he won't leave. He said he has established residence, and needs eviction notice. He will not leave. What can I do? I do not feel safe in my apartment with this person there. Please tell me my options.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/10/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
If you allowed him to make it his residence, ie he receives bills or lists it as his residence, the he is correct and you will need to give him notice that you are terminating his residency and if he does not move out by the notice period then you have to file for eviction and get an order so that a sheriff can force him to leave.