Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a member of the Board of Directors of a condo complex.

Customer Question
Have a problem with a...
I am a member of the Board of Directors of a condo complex. Have a problem with a resident on 2nd floor disturbing residents on first floor. The upper person may have some mental problems. Awakes during night and stomps around his home, disturbing homeowners downstairs. Also happens during daytime. Upper person believes residents below are using harmful chemicals in their home. (They care for 2 young grandchildren and have 2 dogs). Upper person believes they are trying to poison him because he is keeping them awake and they have complained to him about this. They also have reported this disturbance to the management company, only to be told there is nothing that can be done about it. I have been in the lower home and heard the stomping. I have talked to the upper person, and he has many health problems and alergies. He takes many otc meds and herbs and diagnoses his health problems.Is there any way to get him some help with his problems.Ann Noble,[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Pro, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Lawyer
Have they contacted the police about the situation?
No. We are hoping to not involve police.
That unless the HOA Board takes action for violation of their rules/regulations - then the lower unit has no alternative but to contact the police themselves and file a nuisance action against the upper tenant.

Are you referring to the HOA Board as being the management - or are they separate?

Management company should make this request, get the information needed, then present it to the Board of Directors to make decision as to what should be done. Only response from Management company was that nothing could be done.

Are there any nuisance rules/regulations of the HOA?

I would like time to review the rules/regs. and also speak with two residents before I continue. Perhaps I have "jumped the gun" in contacting you before speaking to them.

May I get back to you at a later time, or just table this conversation until I have more answers or information?

Yes, that would be fine - don't hit the accept button (which doesn't appear anyway until I hit "answer" when responding to you).

We can leave this question open for a day.
Thank you.
OK. We'll get to this tomorrow. I'll wait for your return.