Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

i have a question i was born in mass i was a carpetner in mass…

Customer Question
i have a question i...
i have a question i was born in mass i was a carpetner in mass n moved to fla i wantd to mv to mass as a builder wondering if i can get my lic under the grandfather clause or i hv to take the test or a home improve lic is the same as a state builders lic n what can u do with a home improvement lic
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Thomas Swartz
Hello JACUSTOMER,

You can obtain a license to be a certified residential contractor in Florida without taking Florida's exam. In addition to having a valid license in another state, you must meet some additional qualifications listed here: Certified Residential Contractor Initial License For Out of State Applicants.

Scroll down to the bottom in the above link, and you will find the appropriate application form and instructions.

I hope this helps.

Thomas
no i wana know if i move back to mass if i quitlyfy under the grandfather cluse for a building liceance still not fla
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You do not qualify under the grandfather clause in MA just by virtue of the fact you were born there. A grandfather clause would apply to you only if you were a contractor in MA before they instituted the licensing program. The home improvement license allows one to make residential improvements to existing properties, the builders license is required if you will be building houses or commercial buildings from scratch.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

so if i got a home improvement lic i can remodel homes like kitchen baths n paint n floors in do i need a permit for thos things ther
You would need the license and also any building permits as required by the city/town for doing the work.
so a home improvement lic i can pull permits for the work n insurence would b lib or workmans comp thanks
Yes, you can do the work, if you employ anyone you have to carry workers compensation on them and of course you would be liable for your own insurance.
ok tu last quest u know how much the lic n ins would b ther it b for me n my son to start a buinss n thats it
The fee is $100 for the exam and $150 for the license. As far as the insurance I am afraid we are not insurance agents so I could not help you with any accurate information on that part.
the home improvement lic thers a exam or that for the state lic
Here is the site for all of the information on the home improvement contractors http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocatopic&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Home+Improvement+Contracting&sid=Eoca