Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

my daughter entered a lease with two other girls and it does…

Customer Question
my daughter entered a lease...
my daughter entered a lease with two other girls and it does not start until August 1. She has found a job and needs to move to another area. The new landlord says she can not get out of the lease without the consent of the other two girls and they say no. Can she get out of the lease where it has not started?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question.
To get out of the lease there are normally 4 ways:
1. negotiate with the landlord. often that means paying a penalty to be released.
2. finding a clause in lease that permits you to end it early on notice. This is rare
3. suing the landlord for breach of lease or having a lawyer threaten such action which can lead to a release either by consent or court order
4. subletting for the lease term.
To find local counsel to represent you, see www.martindale.com

The landlord can hold you liable for the lease term or until it finds a new tenant, whichever is less. Try to negotiate to be released early or alternatively to sublet. Some landlords will consent or take the deposit and a small penalty, especially if have access to a new tenant.