Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have not payed rent or put it in escrow sence December. The…

Customer Question
I have not payed rent...
I have not payed rent or put it in escrow sence December. The land lady keep saying she is going to evict me but has done nothing the person who owns the building knows what is going on but has done nothing, can I declare squatter rights, and adverse possesion on this apartment
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: JBaxLaw, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Lawyer
Under Ohio's adverse possession law, you would need to remain in the home for 21 years without permission before you could assert adverse possession as a defense. The landlord is still able to evict you even though they have no yet done so. The landlord can also obtain a judgment for any unpaid rent.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.