Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hi there, In august of 2009, i was helping my good friend…

Customer Question
Hi there, In august of 2009...
Hi there,
In august of 2009, i was helping my good friend move things into her new rental/condominium. Upon entering the underground parking, my uhaul truck got caught on the electric garage door, and while backing up the uhaul...the gate was dislodged from the tracks. There appeared to be only minor damages, and the landlord said."Don't worry about it".
Meanwhile, the Home Owners Association, slapped the Landlord for a 2,600 dollar repair bill, which both the tenant, landlord, and I feel is unjustified and extreme. I have pictures of welding work that the repairmen did to shorten the gate, pictures of all new hardware, which was not necessary, and basically they refurbished the whole dang gate and made cosmetic adjustments at our expense.
The landlord payed the HOA via credit card, but now is suing Rosa, the tenant, for the

full aam.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You are going to have to prove that they fixed other than the actual damage that you caused and that the repairs made were unnecessary for the damage you caused. This means that unless you have an expert to testify you may have a big problem in carrying your burden of proof based on your contentions alone. At this point if you do not have the expert testimony to support you, then you would have to try to make a case based on your photos of the actual damage you caused and photos of the repairs showing they fixed more than what you damaged and then you would be able to get the charges reduced.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”