Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I used a company to manage my property (select renters; collect…

Customer Question
I used a company to...
I used a company to manage my property (select renters; collect rent etc etc) can they be held responsible if the put tenets in the house that cause damage to the property and it contents (applances, carpet, holds in wall), non collection of rent and letting these renters leave without performing a check out and holding any secuirty deposit?
I asked the company they they property need any cleanning and they claimed that the renters had the property cleaned and it was as it was when they first moved in. When I walked in it smelled bad; carpets were dirty and stained, dog hair every where some holds in walls, dead and live roaches everywhere, roach excrements and roach egg sacs were everywhere as well as the dog hair.
I want to sue the company, they person directly handling my property and the renters. I'm in maryland. Do I have a case. They never gave me any itemized details of how they rent collection was distributed and they rent being collected decreased after about 7 months. T
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question.What specifically can I answer for you?
All of my info is in my question. Is there anything I can do?
Relist: No answer yet.
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

As a general rule the thing you mention above would be their responsibility. Do you have a written contract with the company? You would have a case for breach of contract as well as a consumer protection complaint.

You can file a consumer protection complaint for free at

http://www.dllr.maryland.gov/whatsnews/mrecfred.shtml

Can you tell me the name of the company so we can check the registered agent's address for filing a law suit?

I wanted to follow up with you to see if you have any additional questions for me. Please let me know if the information I provided was helpful.