Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Roommate - wont pay rent - I own the house - I gave roommate…

Customer Question
Roommate - won't pay rent...
Roommate - won't pay rent -
I own the house -
I gave roommate a letter w/ terms and conditions - including the info about no rights as a tenant -
over the past 6 mos, she has lied about many things - and paid rent at least 2 weeks late 1/2 the time - now her check has bounced again -
I have served her w/ a 3 days to pay or quit
now what - how do I get rid of her -
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
Tina :

Thank you for contacting JA.

Customer: u r welcome
Customer: how do I actually remove her from the house now
Tina :

I am working on your answer now.

Tina :

You do need to follow the CA eviction process in this case in order to evict the roommate even if they are a lodger. Even though you have given notice, the police will not forcibly remove her until you have a court order, which requires that you file a petition for unlawful detainer.

An experienced paralegal could assist you in drafting and filing the appropriate documents.

Tina :

Please let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice. It is recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since I have no control over the development of the law, I ask you not to hold that against me. Please remember that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Customer: how long does that take?
Customer: how long does this take?
Customer: I seem to have paid you twice
Customer: lucky you
Tina :

It depends in part on the court's docket schedule, but it should not take more than 60 days or so.

Tina :

I don't receive ANY payment at all until you press the accept button. Thank you and take care!

Tina :

Do you need clarification of my answer?