Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Wanted to know what the guidelines are for landlords. I had…

Customer Question
Wanted to know what the...
Wanted to know what the guidelines are for landlords. I had a flood in my apartment late Jan 2010. it was so severe i lost use of the whole downstairs for almost 2 months. The flood wasn't caused by me or anything I did it was coming from the ground. They had to dig up the floor/concrete in order to find the problem. The landlord sent someone 8 hrs after calling her to come see it. I never received reduced rent or was offered accommodations for this mess. The landlord never told us prior to signing the lease that there were 2 prior claims for the same type of flood. I found out AFTER the flood insurance claims were filed. Aren't they suppose to disclose this information prior to renting or signing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/9/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I don’t believe that the landlord is required to disclose the fact that there had been two earlier floods. However, you could probably use that fact to argue that the landlord was negligent and should reimburse you for damage to your personal property. In addition, your landlord should have agreed to a reduced rent. You may want to demand a reduced rent now, and if the landlord does not agree, then you could sue for a refund in small claims court.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.