JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years litigation experience including eminent domain and real estate disputes
1969057

I have had my house on the market for 3 months of a 6 month

I have had my house on the market for 3 months of a 6 month real estate contract,planning to be married and be relocated. But the marriage is off now, just yesterday I was offered a cash offer at almost full price. I don't want to sell. How can I get out of the deal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Until you enter a contract to sell your home you cannot be forced to sell it. You need to read your representation contract (realtor contract) about fees or penalties for taking your house off the market. Your asking price is only an invitation to enter into a contract and is not binding upon you until you enter into an actual contract to sell. So the only thing you need worry about now is the penalty or fee you must pay your realtor. Most contracts I've reviewed do not require a fee as long as you do not sell your home, however I have seen examples of early termination fees.

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.