Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My wife and I are in the process of a divorce and she wants

Customer Question
to keep the house &...
My wife and I are in the process of a divorce and she wants to keep the house & re-fi the 1st trust on her own but needs our 2nd trust (home equity line of credit) off as collateral on the house and wants me to take over the 2nd trust by paying it off or refinancing it in my name only. Now since the 2nd trust is a subordinate of the 1st trust, the only way I know of to make this work is for me to get a personal loan to payoff the 2nd but won't be able to get a 4% interest rate on a personal loan. Is this the only way or is there another possible resolution where the bank would be willing to remove my wife's name & the collateral?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/20/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: JD, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
JD, Lawyer

The only options are to obtain a new loan, negotiate a release of the security and co-borrower, or pay the loan off. I doubt the bank will willing release your wife and the collateral while keeping the interest rate the same. Honestly... what do they have to gain?

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD, Lawyer
JD, Lawyer