Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If I build a house on someone elses property, who owns the

Customer Question
If I build a house...
If I build a house on someone else's property, who owns the house? In other words can I have title to the house without deed to the property and what rights would I have in case of sale or desease?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/14/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

When you buy a home (not a condo or timeshare or "townhome" but a home with land) your not actually purchasing the home (the wood/brick/paint etc)...you actually are buying the land...everything else that is attached to the land (like the home(s)) are part of the property...but you will not see them on the title. The title simply shows the legal description of the land.

So, at the time of the sale, ALL houses or building on the land will be sold with the land.

SO, if you build a home on someone elses land, the ONLY way to get title to the property is to have the land split...so that the home you build is on its own land.

YOu can request this through the city/county (depends on how zoned)

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: unless you can get the property subdivided, if you build this it will belong to the property owner.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer