Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have been renting an apartment in NYC since 12/1/10 with…

We have been renting an...
We have been renting an apartment in NYC since 12/1/10 with the understanding (written in an addendum of our lease) that the bathrooms would be upgraded and a washer/drier installed before we moved in. They were not ready and nothing has been done with the landlord basically saying that it will be delayed for a couple of months and that they are still paying off the rest of the renovation and can't afford to continue. Meanwhile he and his wife just took a 2 week vacation to Israel! (We know because they live above us). Anyway they scheduled a meeting with us for tonight to talk but just cancelled. I am furious and feel like we must have some recourse. I would like to get the agreed upon work done ourselves or take a rent reduction, or hold back our rent until this is resolved. Can I legally do this? Rent is due today and I am trying to figure out what to do. Thank you, Michelle
4/1/2010
FLACORPLAWYER
I am assuming you mean you moved in on 12/01/09. If the addendum states that you can withhold the rent if the upgrades are not made, then you can. Otherwise, I would not withhold the rent since this issue does not affect the "fitness of the dwelling unit for human habitation". (But bluffing by making them ask for this month's rent may at least give you the opportunity to have the discussion you want to have). It should be obvious to you by now that these folks are liars and will do nothing voluntarily, you may have to seek the letter writing capabilities of a local lawyer, or declare the lease breached and move out eventually.
Would this constitute a breach of lease? Can we make the agreed upon improvements and subtract that from our rent?
Do not make the improvements and subtract it from the rent. This is not an emergency issue. Whether it breaks the lease is questionable, and I can't give you a definite answer. Its a close question since the upgrades are not a habitability issue. If the lease is silent on this point, it depends upon the intent of the parties.
The lease details that the owner's clear intent is to make the upgrades and they are quite specific. The only thing that is not mentioned in the lease is the timeline for doing the work. What is the worst thing that can happen to us if we do the upgrades ourselves. (example- the tub is disgustingly old and dirty and we have 2 small children. They promised to re-glaze the tub before we moved in and have still not done it. Also there is no electrical outlet in the master bathroom- isn't this a code violation? Also no vent for the stove-isn't that a safety issue? Thanks for your help with this issue!
Since the lease is silent as to when the upgrades would be made, i think you should get a local attorney involved to write them a demand letter. If you report the electrical issues then you are going to end up in a condemned apartment. Your contract is not strong enough to hold them in breach.
FLACORPLAWYER
Thank you-I appreciate the advice
You're welcome.