Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a board member on an HOA manufactured home community in…

Customer Question
I am a board member...
I am a board member on an HOA manufactured home community in Florida.

We have a resident saying that the $42 lifetime dues required for voting in HOA elections violates the Constitution...Sort of like a poll tax. What is the law or non-law on this issue?

Thanks...Arthur
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Under s. 720.303 F.S., there are a half dozen subsections whereby the HOA membership are legally entitled to vote: director recall, budget, agenda items, etc.

A voting fee would clearly impair these statutory rights, therefore the fee is almost certainly unlawful.

This isn't a constitutional issue -- it's just statutory law. There's no necessity to resort to any fundamental rights theory.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.