How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years litigation experience including eminent domain and real estate disputes
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a debt collector called today, attempting to collect on a debt

This answer was rated:

a debt collector called today, attempting to collect on a debt from 12 years ago, on a credit card we never held. the man had all information necessary and they had done a credit inquiry(we checked the credit report) they are claiming to place a lien against us for $1048. does this sound real

It appears that Alaska Code of Civil Procedure 09.10.053 (*/doc/{t2496}/pageitems={body}) sets the statute of limitations on a credit card collection action (breach of contract) at three years. You should consult a local attorney if any other collection efforts are made and dispute the debt. They are most likely prohibited from filing a lawsuit and your attorney can make the calls stop.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you