How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years litigation experience including eminent domain and real estate disputes
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to know best way to evict roommate,he couldnt put anything

Resolved Question:

Need to know best way to evict roommate,he couldn't put anything in his name cause of credit,so i did,i found this house in Marietta,belonging to my boss's daughter,we have no problem-been here almost a year(me)he moved in the same time,everything is in my name i.e.utilities all ect.he receives no mail here,never changed his D.L./Vehicle tag,hell he doesn't excist on paper at all,botXXXXX XXXXXne-making me unconfortable in my home,he's just a peice of shit and i have found other roomates i can deal with,like to tell him to split at the end of the month what do you think?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

I assume he is paying rent. Did you have anything in writing between the two of you concerning the lease agreement? Did you have any agreement about how long this tenancy would last?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no ,no paper work at all just verbal i found a house he wanted to split the rent/bill's so i let him rent .
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

This would be a month to month tenancy and you may cancel it at any time and for any reason. However, you must give him notice (30 days) and it must generally be done on the day rent is paid. So if he is supposed to pay on the first of the month then you would need to give him notice by March 1 to be out by April 1. If he failed to move out by April 1 then you would need to evict him by filing a dispossession action. Here is a link to some information about dispossession actions in your state.


Obviously you can negotiate with him to cut this time window and facilitate a smoother transition. I would suggest waiving his March 1 rent payment if he is out by March 15. Make sure to give him his written notice of termination of the tenancy by March 1. Then if you work out a settlement that you both can live with, reduce it to writing as well.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions