Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

What rights do i have when the house I rent in south Carolina

Customer Question
has a roof leak for...
What rights do i have when the house I rent in south Carolina has a roof leak for the past 4 mounths and i have told the land lord each mounth i pay the rent?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/7/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: JD, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
JD, Lawyer

Here is a link to your state's landlord tenant laws that are applicable to this issue.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t27c040.htm

Practically speaking, you should take the following actions:

1) Review your lease carefully and follow the provisions for landlord repair notices (do so in writing every time)

2) Contact your local codes enforcement office and report the landlord for failing to keep the roof maintained

3) Contact a local attorney and have them write a letter (fairly inexpensive) to your landlord that clearly states you will sue for breach if the repair is not made within 10 days

If the landlord fails to respond to this, you may need to sue for constructive eviction and breach of contract. You will be entitled to damages that could include costs of relocation and any difference in rent you must pay a new landlord.

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

What type of lawyer should i look for?
Landlord-tenant... most any general practitioner will know what to do.
JD, Lawyer
JD, Lawyer