How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years litigation experience including eminent domain and real estate disputes
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What rights do i have when the house I rent in south Carolina

Resolved Question:

What rights do i have when the house I rent in south Carolina has a roof leak for the past 4 mounths and i have told the land lord each mounth i pay the rent?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Here is a link to your state's landlord tenant laws that are applicable to this issue.


Practically speaking, you should take the following actions:


1) Review your lease carefully and follow the provisions for landlord repair notices (do so in writing every time)


2) Contact your local codes enforcement office and report the landlord for failing to keep the roof maintained


3) Contact a local attorney and have them write a letter (fairly inexpensive) to your landlord that clearly states you will sue for breach if the repair is not made within 10 days


If the landlord fails to respond to this, you may need to sue for constructive eviction and breach of contract. You will be entitled to damages that could include costs of relocation and any difference in rent you must pay a new landlord.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What type of lawyer should i look for?
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.
Landlord-tenant... most any general practitioner will know what to do.
JD and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you