Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Someone gifted me money to help buy a home. The home is in

Someone gifted me money to help buy a home. The home is in my name only. Now this person wants their money back that they gave to me. This person wants to put a lien on my home. Can she legally do this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If the money was a gift, and there is no agreement that you would pay the money back, no.

In order to put a lien on your property, the person would have to sue you for the money and obtain a judgment. If a judgment were received, a lien could be placed on the property. However, it is unlikely that the person would get a judgment against you for the money if it was a gift. If the person has no contract or other agreement showing that you were to pay the money back, they're probably up the creek!