How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone gifted me money to help buy a home. The home is in

Resolved Question:

Someone gifted me money to help buy a home. The home is in my name only. Now this person wants their money back that they gave to me. This person wants to put a lien on my home. Can she legally do this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If the money was a gift, and there is no agreement that you would pay the money back, no.


In order to put a lien on your property, the person would have to sue you for the money and obtain a judgment. If a judgment were received, a lien could be placed on the property. However, it is unlikely that the person would get a judgment against you for the money if it was a gift. If the person has no contract or other agreement showing that you were to pay the money back, they're probably up the creek!

Roger and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you