Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am in right to survivor mortgage with my brother. He has

Customer Question
I am in "right...
I am in "right to survivor" mortgage with my brother. He has taken over the house-5 dogs, landscaping trucks in the driveway and I've been rduced to the basement apartment. How can I get out of this without forfitting everything?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/5/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

The only way you can be released from the mortgage is if the lender agrees or the note is paid off.

You can file a petition to partition the property, which forces the sale of the house, and after the mortgage is paid off, the proceeds will be split between the owners. The other owner cannot stop this process.

Roger, Lawyer
Roger, Lawyer