How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31679
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in right to survivor mortgage with my brother. He has

Resolved Question:

I am in "right to survivor" mortgage with my brother. He has taken over the house-5 dogs, landscaping trucks in the driveway and I've been rduced to the basement apartment. How can I get out of this without forfitting everything?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

The only way you can be released from the mortgage is if the lender agrees or the note is paid off.


You can file a petition to partition the property, which forces the sale of the house, and after the mortgage is paid off, the proceeds will be split between the owners. The other owner cannot stop this process.

Roger and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions