How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a car from a guy who said he got it from his mother

This answer was rated:

I bought a car from a guy who said he got it from his mother for graduation. I did not look at the title closely but when I got home it was signed with a j only for the ladys' name. It looked very similar to his handwriting on my receipt. Is this criminal fraud and can I have him arrested and/or recover my money? That was just a small amount of the fraud he perpetuated but this seems to be my only recourse since lemon laws in Texas do not cover sales from individuals.
It would be considered fraud if the person sold something that he did not own. You can seek restitution - a return of your money - due to the fraud committed against you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it criminal fraud? In other words, should I take this matter to the police? As for restitution, do you mean personally sueing him? That unfortunately does not guarantee restitution even if I win if it is civil.

It can be criminal and civil fraud. If it doesn't involve guns or drugs, the police lose interest in going after the person; also, there is no repayment of the property - only restitution.


My gues

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate your help. Would the DMV be the next logical place to find out what steps to begin with. I just need a direction to go.
If the title to the vehicle is not in his name, my suggestion is to contact the District Attorneys office about bringing criminal charges. If they seem less than interested in helping, you should go to the small claims court and file suit against the seller for breach of contract.
Roger and 6 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you!:)
No problem and good luck!

Related Real Estate Law Questions