How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 39018
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

I filed a AFFIDAVIT OF NEGATIVE AVERMENT, OPPORTUNITY TO CURE, AND COUNTERCLAIM civil case in the 14th judicial circuit of florida against my mortgage company. My mortgage company had filed a foreclosure on me and civil lawsuit about a year and a half ago, so that was a counter civil case against them that I filed. Of course, that court will not open back up the case as the house was sold to federal home loan mortgage corporation and the judge won't even look at my civil case. My question is, what federal district court should I file a federal affidavit of negative averment in? Should it be the federal district in the county where the mortgage company filed against me and where my house is located, or should it be filed in the district in the county where the mortgage company is headquartered in Ocala, Florida? My claim is before the court seeking a remedy in Admiralty as is provided by “The Saving to the Suitors Clause”atUSC28-1333(1). Also, the precedent set by Haines vs. Kerner
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A plaintiff can file in Federal Court under federal question juridiction, wherever the claimed injury occurred, or where the defendant can be found. So, the answer is "either" federal district court.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can my civil suit to the federal district court be in the same format as the state county suit that I filed? What is federal question jurisdiction? What is the US code reference?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Federal Courts have their own rules for pleadings. It will be similar but not identical to state court. Review the local court rules on the court's website.


A federal court can only assert subject matter jurisdiction over a case if (1) the case arises under the federal constitution, federal law or regulation. This is the basis of Federal Question Jurisdiction; or (2) where no defendant is domiciled in the same jurisdiction as any defendant, and the amount in controversy, exclusive of costs, exceeds $75,000.


See 28 USC 1331; 28 USC 1332.


socrateaser and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you