Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In the state of Maryland, is a landlord allowed to enter a…

Customer Question
In the state of Maryland...
In the state of Maryland, is a landlord allowed to enter a rented property whenever they want just to "check up" on the tenants, without warning them or asking permission?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/2/2009
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to assist

Md law Permits the landlord to enter the property, after providing the tenant with 24 hours notice, to make repairs, supply services, or show the apartment to prospective buyers/tenants. A tenant may not unreasonably deny the landlord access to the rental property. The landlord may enter the property after due notice to the tenant, when the landlord is required by the Department to provide access for an inspection under County law. In case of emergency, or when the landlord has good cause to believe the tenant may have damaged the property, no notice is necessary

There you have it. They can show up to "just check". Unless an emergency, they must give notice.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

I am currently renting a furnished house with 4 other tenants. Our landlord has repeatedly stopped by the house when we weren't there without warning or permission, just to "check up" on us. The only way we even knew she had stopped by were the angry e-mails we have gotten the next day telling us how dissatisfied she was that the house was too messy and we had moved the furniture, neither of which were mentioned in the lease agreement as not acceptable. Her latest e-mail alerted us that she wants us to terminate the lease and leave the house due to "breaches in the contract" that she could not specify. How can we assert our right to privacy, and continue our lease for the rest of the term?
You should tell her, via registered letter, that you do not consent to her violating your privacy.   You should demand that she provide 24 hours notice if she wants to inspect the property and that if she fails to do this, you will sue her for this breach of your rights under the lease.

P. Simmons, Lawyer