Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My roommates and I were preparing to move into our apartment…

Customer Question
My roommates and I were...
My roommates and I were preparing to move into our apartment today in Charleston, SC. When we were looking for an apartment last spring we were shown several units in the same building. We asked regarding each unit if it had washer & dryer and dishwasher. We were told yes. Our unit has neither. We did have a walk-thru but it was fast and we did have much time to look around. Some of the units are equipped with washer/dryer and dishwasher but ours is not. We thought it was. Each of us went to look at these apartments at separate times and we were told yes regarding these appliances The question is do we have to take it? We would rather find something that has these amenities. Will we have to pay the rent for the year's contract even though it is not as represented? We are college students and our parents are not co-signers on the lease?We have not moved in yet but our lease begins today. Can we walk away and forfeit our security deposit?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/1/2009
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 years ago
If you were promised amenities and they were not included then you could get out of the contract based on mistake or misrepresentation. You need to notifiy them immediately they breached the agreement by not having a washer and dryer as promised.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”