Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In the state of Kentucky is it true that if a person pays the…

Customer Question
In the state of Kentucky...
In the state of Kentucky is it true that if a person pays the property taxes on a parcel for 3 year in a row that the land becomes legally their's even if it was left the heirs which are still all living?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/1/2009
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Pro, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Law Pro, Lawyer
Are you also an heir of the owner who is deceased?

How did you come to start paying the property taxes?

Do you live on the property?
I am married to one of the heirs and 1 of the sisters has paid the taxes the last 2 yrs and not told anyone about it An a attny. told my neice that there was such a law.   This person has done other things in secret. their is a moblie hm. that sits on said property that is rented out.
Code Section 413.010, .060, .020
Time Period Required for Occupation 15 yrs.and Color of Title: 7 yrs.
Time for Landowner to Challenge/Effect of Landowner's Disability After disability lifted: 3 yrs.
Improvements -
Payment of Taxes -
Title from Tax Assessor
The paste I sent is the Kentucky statute for adverse possession.

To the contrary, that's not true.

As the above states - the period of time necessary for adverse possession must be at least seven (7) years if held under patent and fifteen (15) years otherwise. Kentucky Code §413.050.

So that is just wrong - someone is trying to influence you about something or twist your arm into believing something.

Too, that because there are other heirs who have acquiesed to her doing what's she's done - she hasn't even adversely possessed the property.

However, she would be entitled to seek reimbursement for the taxes from the other heirs.
Law Pro, Lawyer