Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hi, I am trying to buy a house in SC with 5 acres. It was originally…

Hi, I am trying to...
Hi, I am trying to buy a house in SC with 5 acres. It was originally an 11 acre tract but the owners split and refinanced the back 6 acres knowingly landlocking it just last year. The bank has foreclosed and is selling the remaining 5 acres with a house. I shruggingly assume that I would have to give an easement, is this correct? If this is correct, can I grant easement through the wooded part of the property that would have to be cleared or would I have to allow him to cut right through the a good pasture?
8/1/2009
If there is a landlocked portion of the land you must grant an easement for access to the propery. The location of the easement is generally negotiable as long as it is one of the more convenient ways to access the property to the road. This means that generally the easement has to be one of the shorter ways of access that does not substantially interfere with your use and enjoyment of your property. If the pasture is being used as such then an easement through there would interfere with your use and enjoyment, but if there is an area off to the side that only minimally interferes, this would likely be what the court would mandate if you cannot agree on where the easement should be.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Okay, the Easement. Do I sell this to him or does he just get the right of way and that's that?

Thank you so much for your help, I sure do appreciate it!

You are entitled to a reasonable price for the easement in compensation.