How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Extensive experience and training in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I purchase a landlocked parcel of real estate in New York,

Customer Question

If I purchase a landlocked parcel of real estate in New York, what exactly must I do in order to acquire an easement to access it and what specific NY law governs the action?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
The common law theory of easement by necessity will govern your situation, the elements of which are:

(1) prior common ownership of both parcels; (2) a transfer of one of the parcels; and, (3) at the time of the transfer an easement over the property as absolutely necessary. See, e.g., Schaack v. Torsoe, 555 N.Y.S.2d 836 (2d Dept. 1990)

In order to establish it, you would have to initiate a court action involving the property over which the easement would run and receive a court order recognizing the easement. The only way to avoid court is to get the adjoining property(ies) to agree and grant a written easement.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
I would be very reluctant to purchase a landlocked parcel, unless I had a binding agreement with an adjoining property to grant/sell me an easement.

An easement is not automatic or a certainty.