How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for 10 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Squatters Rights in Connecticut

Resolved Question:

State of Connecticut: Explain squatter's rights

Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
It is called adverse possession. Connecticut law recognizes adverse possession as a way to acquire title to property. Adverse possession is a method of acquiring title to real estate, accomplished by an open, visible, and exclusive possession uninterruptedly for a 15-year period (CGS § 52-575; Whitney v. Turmel 180 Conn. 147 (1980)). Connecticut also recognizes the right to acquire a right-of-way or other easement by continuous, uninterrupted use of someone else's land for 15 years (CGS § 47-37).
legaleagle and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you