How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legallysound Your Own Question
legallysound, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1333
Experience:  12+ year attorney, including real estate law; CA Real Estate License & B.S. Real Estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legallysound is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does a deeded right of way mean to the one who holds the deed

Customer Question

My hunt club has a property that is land locked we have owned this property sense 1934 the property is in James City County Va. WE have a deeded road into the property that we do all of the up-keep on,what are our rights regarding this road?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legallysound replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.


Your road can be used for the "reasonable" purposes of ingress and egress. Because your hunt club property is landlocked, you may use the road only for these purposes of getting to and leaving the property. It is an easement use that is beyond "reasonable use" can jepardize your rights to the easement. However, because it's been there since 1934, it is unlikely that you have overused the reasonableness. Please feel free to ask any follow up question as you wish. Thanks!


Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. No attorney-client relationship is contemplated or was produced by this communication, which is acknowledged by all parties to be for educational purposes only.