How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask InsuranceLawyer Your Own Question
InsuranceLawyer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1033
Experience:  Twenty-six years of litigation experience including many contract cases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
InsuranceLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if you have a rental house and it becomes unlivable due to ...

Resolved Question:

if you have a rental house and it becomes unlivable due to private water supply is the landlord responsible to provide housing cost for the tennants until repairs are complete or can we prorate and return that part of the rent and their deposit and end our 30 day lease in the state of NC?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  InsuranceLawyer replied 8 years ago.

Any time a rental apartment or house becomes uninhabitable for any reason, the tenant is entitled to a rent abatement for the number of days he can't live there. Just make sure you get proof of the water supply problem so that if the landlord sues you for the rent, you can prove it was impossible for you to live there. It would be best if you notified the landlord in writing of the problem and your intent to move.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to InsuranceLawyer's Post: i am the land lord asking this question not the tenant
Expert:  InsuranceLawyer replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for clearing that up. In that case, the answer is that you do NOT have to provide substitute housing and you can simply pro rate the rent.

InsuranceLawyer and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions