Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

if you have a rental house and it becomes unlivable due to ...

Customer Question
if you have a rental...
if you have a rental house and it becomes unlivable due to private water supply is the landlord responsible to provide housing cost for the tennants until repairs are complete or can we prorate and return that part of the rent and their deposit and end our 30 day lease in the state of NC?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/30/2008
Real Estate Lawyer: InsuranceLawyer, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
InsuranceLawyer

Any time a rental apartment or house becomes uninhabitable for any reason, the tenant is entitled to a rent abatement for the number of days he can't live there. Just make sure you get proof of the water supply problem so that if the landlord sues you for the rent, you can prove it was impossible for you to live there. It would be best if you notified the landlord in writing of the problem and your intent to move.

Reply to InsuranceLawyer's Post: i am the land lord asking this question not the tenant

Thanks for clearing that up. In that case, the answer is that you do NOT have to provide substitute housing and you can simply pro rate the rent.

InsuranceLawyer
InsuranceLawyer
InsuranceLawyer
InsuranceLawyer, Lawyer