Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

What is the statute of limitations in Florida to seek ...

Customer Question
What is the statute of...
What is the statute of limitations in Florida to seek a declaratory judgement to deem an amendment to a homeowners association by-laws unenforceable or illegal?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/6/2008
Real Estate Lawyer: J D Haas, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Statute of limitation in Florida for contracts is 5 years for written contracts and 4 years for verbal contracts. Please see this article for more information: http://www.expertlaw.com/library/limitations_by_state/Florida.html

Please be aware that the parties can shorten this time by contract. If the contract states that the statute of limitation is 3 years, and you agreed to this term, then the statute of limitation may be 3 years.

Please consult with a FL real estate or condo. lawyer immediately for a full discussion of your rights given your contract. Best wishes.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
Reply to J D Haas's Post: i want to know specifically what the statute of limitations on seeking a declaratory judgment on the validity of an amendment to homeowners association by-laws in the State of Florida. I am an attorney and already know a contract action is 5 years. i was looking for a specific answer about accrual and declaratory judgements
I have opted out and sent this to a Florida attorney who is active on this board. Thanks and good luck!
After further research: 4 years:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0095/Sec11.HTM

§ 95.11(3)(p)

Florida courts have interpreted the declaratory judgment sol to be 4 years under 95.11 (3)(p):

http://www.floridalitigationguide.com/guide/16.php

Thanks and I apologize for the confusion.

questions.

Relist: I still need help.
the answer was not specific
J D Haas
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer