How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  30+ years NYC R.E.litigation & closings; contract law professor.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there such a thing as squatters rights in the state of ...

Resolved Question:

Is there such a thing as squatters rights in the state of South Carolina?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.


It's actually called adverse possession and in SC you can attain title to land you maintain over the legal owner if he does not bring an action to declare himself the owner by 10 years since you began your possession of the property.


changed 20 to 10 above typo

Also...the kind of activity that entitles you to own the land depends on whether you have some kind of deed or judgment with respect to the land; have no formal documents; etc.

rvlaw and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you