How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3174
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i lost my deed for my house, what should i do

This answer was rated:

Currently, I am selling my house up at buffalo, ny and I lost my deed and title for the house. I am the owner and have no mortgage, its all paid off. I am not sure which document I need to sell my house. my realtor doesn't seem to knwo the answer for it and i think its pretty dumb. Do I need both deed and title or just title? If so, where do I find a new title?


All deeds are recorded in the County Clerk's Office in your county. If you know the Block and Lot number for your property you can go down to the County Clerk's Office and ask to get a copy of your deed using the Block and Lot number. And the Block and Lot numbers are usually listed on your real estate property tax bill. There might be a small fee for photocopying the deed.

The title and the deed are the same thing. The County Clerk's Office should have also recorded a Satisfaction of your Mortgage.

In addition, all of these documents should be obtained by the title insurance company and the lawyers who are handling the sales transaction.

But you can always go down to the County Clerk's Office as I mentioned.

Good luck.



Thomas Swartz and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you