Karuna Sundeep
Karuna Sundeep,
Experience:  Freelancer at Freelance
104179447

Brother. i have a brother fax 4100 I can send but not

Brother. i have a brother fax 4100 I can send but not receive.. The fax line rings but willnot pick up and receive the fax..I have tried repeatedly to set it on easy receive but no luck. help please
JA: Is there an error code on your device when you try to fax?
Customer: no
JA: When did this fax issue begin?
Customer: right after i tried to change the mode to copy, last week
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to Just Answer.
I am Sundeep and I will try to do my best to help you today.
To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Thanks for your question. To help me better assist you, please tell me

1. Are you getting any error or failure messages while trying to receive fax ?
  2. How old is your machine ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
its 6 years old... it says check cassette 2 sometimes
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Have you charged me 39$? for an unavailable technician?

Please open the link below and then follow the given instructions to let me connect

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=11aeabc5-9e76-4700-a61b-fe1b0cad20ed

Thank you for the information, I am checking on it, will be right back.

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What do I need to do here?

Please give me couple of minutes, I am checking on it.

If you are experiencing problems receiving faxes, please follow the instructions below:

1. Check the message displayed on the LCD:

1. If the LCD displays the date and time or status information (example: Toner Empty, Fax in Memory, etc), continue to Step 2.
    2. If the LCD displays an error message, check on "FAQ & Troubleshooting".
    3. If the LCD is blank, verify the power cord is connected. If the power cord is connected to a surge protector or power switch, remove the cord from the device and connect it directly to the outlet. If date and time now appear, there is a problem with your surge protector or power switch. If the display is still blank, try a different outlet. If date and time appear after connecting to another outlet, there is a problem with your outlet. If the display still remains blank, your unit may require service.
  1. Check for splitters, commshare devices, voicemail, custom phone features, etc. Remove any of these devices from the phone line. Verify the machine is connected directly from the wall to the jack labeled LINE on the unit.

1. Verify the machine has a dial tone.While your unit is connected directly to the wall jack, lift the handset of the external telephone or the machine and listen for dial tone. If there is a dial tone, continue to Step 5. If there is no dial tone continue to Step 4.

1. Verify the wall jack has a dial tone. Disconnect the unit from the wall jack and connect a known working regular phone and telephone line cord directly to the wall jack. Lift the handset of the telephone and listen for a dial tone.

1. If there is a dial tone from the wall jack, your unit may require service.
    2. If there is no dial tone from the wall jack, try a different telephone line cord from the wall jack to the regular telephone. If there is still no dial tone from the wall jack, there is a problem with your line and you need to contact your local telephone company for assistance.
  1. Verify the answer mode is set correctly on the machine.
    This is determined according to other devices/services on the same line as the machine.

• FAX or FAX ONLY
      Dedicated fax line
    • FAX/TEL
      Machine controls the line and automatically answers every call
    • TAD
      Telephone answering machine (TAD) on the same line
    • MANUAL
      You control the phone line and must answer every call yourself. You can also use the distinctive ring service on line.
    • EXT.TEL/TAD
      Use this mode if you receive very few faxes or if you have an external answering machine on your phone line.
  1. If the unit is on a rollover system, connect the unit to the last line of the rollover pattern. You do not want your fax machine rolling over to another line.

1. Complete a test fax to your unit.
    1. First, adjust your ring delay setting. If the answer mode is set to MANUAL, do NOT adjust the ring delay setting and continue to Step b. If the answer mode is set to FAX, FAX ONLY or FAX/TEL, reduce the ring delay to 1 ring. If the answer mode is set to TAD or EXT.TEL/TAD, reduce the number of rings programmed on your answering machine to 2. This is to ensure the test fax is answered as fast as possible. The ring delay setting determines the number of timea the unit rings before it answers.
    2. Next, you can contact a person and have them send you a fax.
      --OR--
      *only available in USA:
      You can utilize our automated Fax Test Sheet and Product Registration system. If you have not completed and faxed your Fax Test Sheet provided with your product documentation, fill out the warranty registration information and fax it to 1-***-***-****. Please make sure your station ID is programmed into your unit prior to sending the test sheet. Shortly after your Test Sheet is received by the system, it will automatically fax a confirmation sheet to the number programmed as the station ID. If you have already registered your warranty, fax a blank piece of paper with the word "Test" printed on it and a confirmation sheet will still be sent to you. By utilizing the Fax Test Sheet and Product Registration system, it alleviates the need to contact an outside source to send you a test fax.
    3. If you receive the test fax successfully, your unit is operating properly. Remember to reset your ring delay or answering machine setting. If receiving problems recur after the setting is reset, then something (i.e. a person or device answering the line) at your location is interfering with the fax reception before the machine has a chance to answer the fax.
  1. Make a copy to test the print operation.
    Take a piece of paper with writing and place it on the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF). Press the Copy button. Press the Stop/Exit button to release the original.

If the print option does not work, your unit may require service.

1. Verify senders are dialing the correct number and you are providing the sender with the correct fax number for your unit. If you have a second telephone number at your location or a cell phone, you can test the number yourself. Dial your fax number from the second telephone number or cell phone as if you are sending a fax. Then, pick up the external telephone handset and/or press the Hook key on your machine. Determine if what you are hearing on the phone you dialed from is consistent with what you are hearing on the machine. For example, if you hear ringing on the dialing phone, but don't hear dial tone on the machine, then there is a problem with the line or the number you are dialing. In this case, you will need to contact your local telephone company for assistance.

1. Test the unit on another phone jack with a different telephone number to verify there is no problem with the current phone line. If the unit receives when connected to another line, you will need to contact your local telephone company to service the line.

If you continue to have problems receiving faxes after following the steps listed above, your unit may require service.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Fax number is(###) ###-####

After following the above given procedure, please check in the below link to fix phone cable related issue

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/139386/~/faxes-are-sending%2C-but-not-receiving

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
there is noth9ng bwrong with line i can send faxes easily
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
can you connect remotelyn with the fax mach9ne?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
can you fax me
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
can you tell me how to check cassette that's the message im getting

There is no fax machine available with me.

I am checking for the cassette issue.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When ?

Please follow the below steps to clear Cassette error

1. Are you using a 2nd paper cassette tray?

• If yes, continue to STEP 2.
  • If no, go to STEP 6.

2. Pull out and then reinstall the lower cassette tray properly pushing it firmly against the machine. Make sure that the tray edges on the side are flush with the machine.

• If the message goes away, the issue is resolved.
  • If the message still appears, continue to STEP 3.

3. Verify Cassette #2 is turned On:

a. Press MENU, 1 (General setup), 5 (Cassette #2).

b. The LCD should display the message 'Cassette#2: (OFF or ON?)'. Press the RIGHT ARROW key until the 'ON' is displayed on the LCD.

c. Press SET.

d. Press STOP/EXIT.

• If the LCD goes back to the date and time, the issue is resolved.

• If the message Check Cassette #2 is displayed, repeat STEP 3 and verify that ON is displayed when you press SET.
    • If the message Check Cassette #2 continues to appear on the LCD after repeating STEP 3, continue to STEP 4.

4. Carefully lift the Brother machine by the handles located on the left and right side of the machine

5. Place the Brother machine on top of the second tray (LT400) aligning the 2 silver pins located on each side of the tray with the 2 openings on the bottom of the machine.

5. Plug the modular cable from the back of the option tray (LT400) to the modular jack on the back of the Brother machine. Unplug and plug back in the power cord of the machine.

• If the LCD displays the date and time the issue is resolved.

• If the message Check Cassette #2 continues to appear and your machine is within warranty, you can locate a Brother Authorized Service Center (ASC) in your area by clicking on the link below:

http://www.brother-usa.com/service/default.aspx or contact Brother Customer Service by

calling 1-877-Brother (1-***-***-****) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

If your machine is out of warranty, you can locate a Brother Authorized Service Center using

the information listed above.

6. Verify Cassette #2 is turned Off.

b. The LCD will display the message 'Cassette#2: (OFF or ON?)'. Press the RIGHT ARROW key until the word OFF appears.

c. Press SET.

d. Press STOP/EXIT.

• If the LCD continues to display the message Check Cassette #2, repeat STEP 6 and verify that OFF is displayed when you press SET.

• If the LCD still displays the message Check Cassette #2 after repeating the steps, and your machine is within warranty, you can locate a Brother Authorized Service Center