Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I just inserted 'new' printer cartridges and am getting the…

Customer Question
I just inserted 'new'...

I just inserted 'new' printer cartridges and am getting the Support Code Message 1660 'The following ink tank cannot be recognized. My printer is a Canon Serial No.:AEBY57921 I checked the new ink purchase numbers with my original receipt and they match. What do I need to do/

Technician's Assistant: Is your Canon printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I don't know, where do I look? I'm sorry.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That I shouldn't touch my printer?!? :0

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
5/31/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the model number of the printer?

Are you using genuine/oem canon inks, or generic/refilled "compatible" cartridges?

MG7720 Yes genuine/oem canon inks. And I looked up the 'original' ink purchase receipt, from when I bought the printer, and the numbers on both receipts (old and new) match.

Thank you for checking,

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.