Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Printer keeps saying replace black cartridge. Put in a new…

Customer Question
Printer keeps saying replace...

Printer keeps saying replace black cartridge. Put in a new one and it still says replace black cartridge and won't work

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

Dell C1765

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Just replace black cartridge

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Was working just fine until I printed out an article about 25 pages and then it just stopped working all together even though it said there was plenty of black ink left in the cartridge. I replaced with a brand new one anyway and still says Replace black cartridge and it won't print. It keeps calibrating but the same message appears.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
5/31/2018
Technician: John Castle, Engineer replied 2 months ago
John Castle
John Castle, Engineer

Are you using original ink toners or compatible ones?

compatible ones
i have used the compatible cartridges without any problem for the past two years.

OK, have you updated the firmware on it? New firmware 5.3.2 will block compatable ones

no, it was working this morning. I printed an article of 26 pages and then it stopped working.

Can I connect into the system

i am uncomfortable paying another 39.00 on top of the 31.00. At this rate, I can almost buy a new printer

Ok we can continue as a Q&A then?

ok

Ok lets got for a full reset.

Have you done this already

i tried but don't think so
  • Turn off the printer.
  • Turn on the power while holding down Left arrow,Right arrow, and Menu buttons.
  • Release these keys when "CE Mode" and "Password" is displayed.
  • Press Up arrow key twice and press the checkmark.
  • "CE Mode", "Printer" and "FAX/Scanner" are displayed. (Entered the CE Diag. mode.)
  • Press the checkmark key to select "Printer".
  • Press Down button to "Installation Set" and press the checkmark key to select.
  • Press Down button to "Clear All NVM".
  • Press the checkmark key twice to execute the test.
  • Power cycle the printer to return to the regular operating mode.
it is telling me to please wait. What does power cycle the printer mean?

Turn on and off

it is asking me language, time zone etc
it now says printer settings are complete and the message that emerges is Replace Black Cartridge

OK - so after a reset it is the same?

OK so we have a hardware issue, when did you purchase it and how many prints are you doing a week?

it's about 3 years old and I do about 3 prints a week
I have only needed to replace the cartridges once. I don't do a lot of printing

I would suggest replacing the printer. It is not under warranty anymore and it would cost quite a lot to get it fixed at a reseller.

I kind of thought that might be the response. Do you have a good home printer, copier combo that connects easily to the wifi for apple computers, iPads ect.
i am asking for a recommendation.

Yes of course, what is your budget?

Yes of course, what is your budget?

Around 200.00

Hello?

Are we finished?

Can you tell me your budget and I will recommend you a printer

Around $200.00. The cartridges are so incredibly expensive but I do like the laser printer for professional printing and color quality

I would recommend canon, the laser printing range costs a bit more than other printers however, the quality is great and the build is much better.

They last unlike other printers and wont break down, best part is they come with a 3 year standard warranty.

They are expensive(ish) so I would suggest going into a Best Buy and purchasing an open box one were you can get 30-40% off and a set of toners.

If you would like to follow up please do however If you can use the STAR's above to rate me 5/5 it would be great!